Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Could I really do this?

I have this crazy idea in my head that I can't seem to shake. And for me, it's not just crazy, but downright insane. I just might...and I really mean just might...have aspirations to run a 5k. I am not a runner. I repeat. I am not a runner. I don't like running AT ALL. I think I hate it, in fact. My over-sized bottom jiggling up and down for the world to see. Ugh! And my knees aren't that great. Ever since I lugged hundreds of pounds of Spot Pocket Bars (not all at once) up some stairs b/c I was stubborn and way too impatient to let the boys do it, I've had issues. Sometimes I think my left knee tells me when it's about to rain. Bad sign for my age. But the latest Experience Life Magazine, the free subscription we get from Lifetime Fitness, has this simple 3 month plan for training for a 5k. And it really does look pretty easy. Of course, I don't think I've ever run 1/4 of a mile at once and the first workout includes a 1/2 mile of running. But something is urging me, at age 35, to stretch way outside my box and just see if I can do something I think I might hate... and make it something I love. I've already picked out some shoes! I'm digging the idea of these Nike Free 7.0 that are supposed to be like you're running barefoot. I've never cared much for running shoes and I'm sure God knew what he was doing when he made our feet.

We'll see. Still toying with the whole idea.

3 comments:

Ben said...

I'm digging those shoes, too. Do they have any for guys?

I'm in. Let's run baby!

Joel, Melody, Grant, and Kate said...

Ashley, you can so do this! I started running over the summer and I love it! I have never been a runner, ever, so I'm living proof you can do it. Jazzercise is what did it for me. I can't tell you how good it feels to be able to do something that I couldn't have done a year ago; it's amazing. Go for it!!!

Curdie said...

Woohoo!!! Do it, girl!!

I want to go with you to Run On!!! It's a running store. You can try out the Nike Free there and a bunch of other real running shoes too.

To answer Ben's question, they do have Nike Free for men.